Opened on 10 October 1888, Florida Primary School is the oldest school in the Roodepoort area. It has an amazing history of which the staff and pupils are extremely proud.
The Link centre manager, Barbara Fick, retired as principal of the school after 14 years, in 2019. She continues effecting change in the community through her work at The Link and the Legacy Foundation.
The school has grown from 39 children and 3 classrooms in 1888, to 1222 pupils and a staff of 36 teachers.
The centre serves Grade 2 and Grade 3 learners. Each child has a one-on-one literacy session with a volunteer, once a week for 45 minutes each. We hope to extend this to twice-weekly in 2022.
Travelling from the N1 Western Bypass:
- Follow William Nicol Dr up the hill towards Ontdekkers.
- Cross over Ontdekkers and turn left onto the Ontdekkers Service slip road.
- Follow the slip road as it turns right into Barry Hertzog Drive.
- Follow Barry Hertzog Dr to Florida CBD.
- Turn Left into Goldman Street in town.
- Turn Right into Kantoor Street (one-way) (Gate entrance is at the bottom of Kantoor)
- Wait at the blue security gate for a staff member to open.
- Park anywhere on the left.